Have you ever wondered how deeply smartphones have become part of our lives? What role do they play in our lives?
They’ve become so commonplace that we forget that almost no one knew about them 20 years ago. The number of smartphones sold is growing every year, and all forecasts say that this trend will continue over the next few years.
To understand smartphone trends, we analyzed data on the production, sale, and use of smartphones around the world and compiled detailed smartphone statistics.
Let’s take a look!
1. In 2019, 1.52 billion smartphones were sold worldwide. (Statista)
2. The number of smartphone users around the world (in billions) (Statista):
3. Number of smartphones sold to end users (Statista):
4. Top selling smartphones of 2019 (Statista):
5. Number of smartphones by country (Pew Research Center):
|Country||Population||Users||Percentage of total population|
6. Global smartphone revenue (Statista):
7. Most popular messaging apps worldwide (Statista):
8. 70% of YouTube users use mobile smartphones to visit the platform. (Techjury)
9. Number of app downloads in 2017, 2018, and 2022 (projected) (MindSea):
10. Revenue from mobile apps (MindSea):
11. App stats by market segment (MindSea):
12. Android operating systems make up 85.9% of operating systems worldwide. (Statista)
13. 99.3% of internet users in China use a smartphone. (techjury)
14. 67% of internet users browse via smartphone. (techjury)
15. 78% of UK residents own a smartphone. (techjury)
16. 96% of Americans own a cellphone. (Pew Research Center)
17. 81% of Americans own a smartphone. (Pew Research Center)
18. 66% of smartphone users are addicted to their phones. (techjury)
19. On average, a smartphone owner checks their phone 58 times a day. (techjury)
20. On average, a person spends 2 hours and 51 minutes a day on their smartphone. (leftronic)
21. On average, children get their first smartphone at age 12. (leftronic)
22. 92% of Americans believe smartphone addiction is real. (leftronic)
23. In 2018, there were approximately 7.9 billion mobile Internet users worldwide. (techjury)
24. South Korea leads the way in smartphone ownership. 94% of adults own smartphones and 4% use non-smart mobile phones. (techjury)